Thursday, September 28, 2006

Maggie Paints for Fish

DANA POINT, California (Royters) - Some artists suffer for their work. Maggie, an 11-year-old sea lion at the Dana Point Aquarium, gets to eat dead fish for hers. Dr. Ralph, a zoo trainer, has been teaching the animal to paint since last year.

"It's, in a way, enriching," Dr. Ralph told the San Clemente Sun Tribune-Review Times for Wednesday's editions. "Sea lions are very smart animals, and painting keeps their minds active."

It took three months to get the animal to hold a paint brush and touch the bristles to paper.

Dr. Ralph picks the paint colors — sea lions are colorblind — and puts paint on the brush. The paintings are done one stroke at a time, with Maggie getting a fish after each stroke.

If the animal can be said to have a style, it is this: She tends to put more paint on the right side of the canvas than the left.

13 comments:

ranger dowden said...

I can't believe it. Dr. Ralph is truly a miricle worker. I've been tryig to get those "so-called" out of work beach bums to paint my beach bungalow to no avail. Go figure!

Grumpy said...

I go away for a couple of days and this blog goes all to hell!

Dr. Ralph said...

More like one sixth, or is it one seventh?

puttzle said...

WTF are you yammering about???

Anonymous said...

Oh, Doctor Ralph Wiggum, you bust me up.

A seven dwarves reference.

Hardy . . har har.

Anonymous said...

Stick with me Puttzle.

I'll explain Doctor Ralph Wiggum's lame references.

puttzle said...

No thanks, anonymous.

Dr. Ralph said...

It's better that you don't get it.

puttzle said...

Oh I get it, Dr. Ralph. The correct answer is one-seventh.

Dr. Ralph said...

Yes, Unt.

Forest Gump said...

God damn it, Puttzle!
You're a goddamn genius.
That's the most outstanding answer I've ever heard.
You must have a goddamn IQ of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Puttzle.

Anonymous said...

Forest Gump, you're my hero.

unt said...

Mr. Gump, my mother once told me that life is like a box of chocolates.

Moon Phase